We provide caregiver coaching for caregivers who are overwhelmed and need
support making decisions, dealing with their anxiety, looking for respite. When's
the right time for someone to move? And then, for the person living with the
disease, we can also help them plan for their own future.
People just - they're so overwhelmed that they don't know where to start.
They don't even know what kind of questions to ask.
So once we start working with someone, they're just so
grateful to have the service, to learn about resources, and to even learn about
the benefits of caring for themselves so that they can provide care longer.
I'm the caregiver for my husband of 51 years.
I was reading an ad in the paper that
talked about Volunteers of America for African Americans with dementia and
take a test. So my husband and I took the test, the three questions test, and it turned
out that I could do it, so my problem is just old age, memory. His, he has a more
a medical condition. He does have dementia.
For a long time, I think that our institution thought, because they had
the services, that people would come to them. That's not the case.
We need to work where - work with people where they're at
and we need to bring in people that
look like them, that they could feel comfortable.
So GlobeGlow Consulting was contracted by Volunteers of America and Jewish Family Services
and they were not only interested in finding out how to work with Somali elder population.
If you're wearing one lens, which is the mainstream lens, it's very easy to miss the
blinking red lights. Very easy. People miss, you know, you're vulnerable
to misinterpreting what you're hearing and what you're seeing.
What this has done, actually, it has built the social workers' confidence
but more importantly, in my opinion, is how the community embraced it.
When they're able to access care from their own culture
that actually get it and know the fight that they've been through
it allows them to open up, and to share, and to allow us to go on the journey with
them. So it makes a huge difference. They're so grateful.
It's a good thing that we have some people I know I can go to when I need help.
It's an illness that there's no cure for right now, but there are pills and people
to help you get through this and them to get through it, too
and that's meant a lot to me, encouraged me - that you're not alone going through this.
For more infomation >> Minnesota's Good Food Access Program Profile: Our Community Food Projects - Duration: 0:55.
For more infomation >> Grading Minnesota's Public Infrastructure - Duration: 8:53. 
Không có nhận xét nào:
Đăng nhận xét